Thursday, February 01, 2007

Mussorgsky- Songs & Dances of Death


An interesting thing that I noticed about the albums I've posted is that the most-downloaded one by far has been the compilation of German Cabaret music. Needless to say, what with all the rarities and pop-culture references I've tried to incorporate into my postings, finding out that 70-year old Hun music was more in demand was a complete shock to me. Maybe it's because you kids these days have downloaded everything else, and are looking for something a little more exotic or unusual? It would certainly explain the voluminous output of: http://eldiablotuntun.blogspot.com/ .

Anyway, I'll go out on a limb and shake things up a little on Clandestine666, and post my cassette rip of Mussorgsky's Songs and Dances of Death. One of the big problems with Mussorgsky is that it's tough to tell if you're getting the authentic works of the mad, drunk Russian, or the cleaned-up versions polished over by the 19th Century's answer to Bob Rock, Nicolai Rimsky-Korsakov.

These tracks sound fairly authentic, though. From the creepiness of "Song of the Flea" to the morbid beauty of "Where are you, Little Star?", it's hard to imagine Rimsky-Korsakov attaching his name to these primal tracks.

Hopefully, a few of you will enjoy this album. To get the full "Russian" effect, listen to this while trading your daughter for a case of Stoli, selling black-market copies of "Dude, Where's My Car?", and giving yourself a vodka enema.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XQIS9IXI

2 comments:

jb said...

Nice post. Nice blog too.

Leizoor said...

I don't know where you got that, but I actually have a black market Russian copy of Dude, Where's My Car. Wow. It really was a hot item over there back when it was pretty new.

You know, like even the worst stocked behind-the-Hiace 50 year old "I just sell these because my daughter is too ugly for the streets" people had it almost as a rule, so you just couldn't avoid picking it up at one of those 4 for 3 deals, because the rest of the tapes were just some obscure shit with home-printed paper covers and Russian titles and I really wouldn't have known most of the movies anyway because I was still such a small kid back then.